Overdentures are a type of dental prosthesis that are designed to be supported by implants or remaining natural teeth. Here are some of the benefits of overdentures:
- Better retention: Overdentures are anchored to the remaining natural teeth or implants, which provides better retention and stability than conventional dentures. This helps to prevent slipping, rocking, and clicking while speaking or eating.
- Improved chewing ability: With better retention and stability, overdentures allow for better chewing ability and increased bite force, which can improve digestion and overall health.
- Increased comfort: Overdentures are designed to fit more securely and comfortably than conventional dentures, which can help to reduce sore spots, irritation, and discomfort.
- Preservation of bone: Dental implants used to support overdentures help to preserve bone density by stimulating the bone, which helps to prevent the bone from shrinking over time.
- Improved speech: Because overdentures fit more securely than conventional dentures, they can help to improve speech and prevent slurring or mumbling.
- Better oral health: Overdentures can be easily removed for cleaning, which allows for better oral hygiene and reduces the risk of gum disease and other oral health problems.